Thursday, October 26, 2017

A new look for DoggyDaddy's Dailies


Yeah, I know......it's like what Coke did with Coke Zero. Changed the name and repackaged. But if you read the ingredients, it's the exact same drink.

The real change for me is that I removed the word "Dailies". After three years of blogging every day, I just don't feel like I have the same energy to promise that I can keep up that pace.

So, DoggyDaddy's Dailies is now Doggy's Doghouse. Mostly, the same stuff, just probably not as often.

- I'll work with David in Naples to give you some terrific "Numbers" to think about.
- I'll do my best to give you my best pregame and post game analysis. 
- When I have the time, I'll add as many links as I did in the past.
- My favorite pastime of trashing other programs especially Tennessee will be there for your pleasure
- At the bottom of the Doghouse I'll keep the informational links that I had in the Dailies as well.

Of course, you will have to suffer through the pictures of my grandchildren and boring updates about their lives and what is new with me. As I have said before, it's my blog....lol. 

So, here goes!!    

*********************************************************************************


Yes, that chubby face is Logan, who turned two years old in July. You can see how happy he makes me. He is now walking, talking and just being a two year old.

It's been great watching him grow and become this cute and funny kid.

Yes, you will be seeing more of him.    

*******************************************************************************

Happy Birthday to my granddaughter Noa, 11 years old Friday!!!!!

Image may contain: 3 people, closeup

*********************************************************************************

And Happy Birthday to my wonderful daughter. 34 on Thursday!!!!!




*********************************************************************************


I've had a great 6 months since I last blogged. Still enjoying retirement!! I played a ton of golf and even got my handicap down to a 7.8. Crazy!

Started bowling again last month and my average is 194.4, my highest ever. Golf and bowling, two old man sports.

Speaking of old man, I signed up for medicare! Where does the time go???   

*********************************************************************************

I guess I should talk a little basketball since that is really what this blog is about.

I wrote an early pre-season report in my last blog in April. I updated that one with information gleaned in the off season so enjoy the read.

2017-18 Preseason Analysis

This is going to be a great season. Something very special.


*********************************************************************************

The first USA Today coaches poll is out and UConn is back on top followed by South Carolina, Baylor, Mississippi State and Notre Dame to round out the top 5.

Personally, I find polls a waste of time. Especially early in the season. At least after a few games, you will see how the teams look.

I do believe that South Carolina is deserving of the No. 2 spot. They return preseason favorite for POY A'ja Wilson. By herself she will win some games and she has a solid returning cast led by sophomore point guard Tyasha Harris. Harris showed improvement in her game with her performance for team USA for her age group. And the dynamic Cuevas-Moore is back.

*********************************************************************************  
Ahhh.....message boards. You can find the funniest things there. On one particular UConn message board, the invasion of the Gamecocks has started. Get out the condoms!!

You would think by their postings that South Carolina has won the 11 championships and UConn is new to this championship thing.

Yeah, I know, UConn fans were the same way with the Tennessee fans when UConn started winning. I wasn't on the message boards in 1995 when UConn won their first. But by the time of Diana Taurasi teams had won three in a row, UConn fans had a lot of substance to their claim to the best program.

When South Carolina wins a few more championships and not just recruiting wars maybe they can go to a UConn board and talk trash. But until then? Just shut up...!!!     

*********************************************************************************

Speaking of recruiting, we will know in a couple of weeks where the only two 2018 targets for UConn will be going to school.

No. 1 recruit Chrystin Williams and No. 5 recruit Olivia Nelson-Ododa visiting Storrs together recently and both will announce when the early signing period starts on November 10th. UConn fans are all nervous about this. Will UConn be shut out?

Williams was a supposed UConn lean early on and now? Who knows? Nelson-Odada is keeping it close to the vest.

Keeping my fingers crossed. 
   
*********************************************************************************

By David in Naples!!!!!

 Many optimistic UConn fans are predicting great results for the team this season. Some even go as far as to say the Huskies may go undefeated and win N.C. #12. That seems a bit over the top, but time will tell. In the meantime, here is how the last five UConn teams scored points for their respective seasons.  (The best season is in bold. )

2016-17   Total points = 3,222    Per game average = 87.1
2015-16   Total points = 3,346    Per game average = 88.1
2014-15   Total points = 3,481    Per game average = 89.32013-14   Total points = 3,283    Per game average = 82.1
2012-13   Total points = 3,218    Per game average = 82.5

Obviously, teams played a different number of games each season. Last year, the team played 37 versus 2013-14 when they played 40. That impacts the total points scored, but not the average.  Considering there are four returning starters off a team that averaged 87.1 points, this could be a record year for points scored, or at least per game average. 

Go Huskies...!!

*****************************************************************************

Numbers Part 2

One of the dumber hobbies of UConn fans is predicting how many minutes various players will average in the coming season. With this year's deep roster, some are still predicting 30+ minute s of action for players like Gabby, Katie Lou and Pheesa. Ain't gonna happen..! Here is a review of 30+ minute per game players over the last few years.

Last season = (2) Katie Lou at 31.8 and Napheesa at 30
2015-16 = (1) MoJeff at 30.9
2014-15 = none
2013-14 = (3) Dolson at 32.3, Bria at 31.9 and Stewie at 30.5
2012-13 = (1) KML at 30.2

Notice that Stewie had one season averaging over 30 minutes per game. It was her sophomore year and the team was not deep. Tuck got hurt early and Kiah Stokes was the only front court option. The starters all averaged more than 29 minutes per game. In 2014-15, nobody averaged more than 28.7 minutes per game. Tuck stayed healthy, Gabby emerged as a front court sub and Kia Nurse started 36 games and could spell Moriah.

The bench this season is just not deep with numbers, It is deep with talent. Even in close games, Geno can go 8-9 players deep in his rotation. There seems to be plenty of guards, wings and frontcourt subs. Don't look for anyone to average over 30 minutes per game this season.  That will be a good thing..!!

Go Huskies..!!  

UCONN LINKS





 Statistical Sites

National Statistics



Rankings and RPI Sites

Last years sites (Updates soon)








Message Boards

UConn Territory - The best UConn women's message board ever!!! 

College Fans Only - WCBB board where no holds are barred

Vol Nation - Tennessee women's basketball board    

CockyTalk - The upstart South Carolina women's basketball board  

ND Nation - Notre Dame women's basketball board

Rebkell - WCBB for everyone that thinks they are smarter than everyone else


Videos




I'm always open for suggestions. Just please reply to this blog or email me at:

No comments:

Post a Comment