Saturday, September 19, 2015

Napheesa Collier - The Silent Assassin

Napheesa Collier
6'1" Guard/Forward
Ok, that is just my nickname for her. But it fits. She is not loud, boisterous or demonstrative on the court. She just goes about her business, making a shot, stealing the ball, grabbing a board, running the court, dishing off the break.....etc..etc. And before you know it she just takes over the game and her team wins another.

Earlier in the recruiting process, it was a battle for the No. 1 slot in the recruiting rankings. Some services had Samuelson, some had Durr. It was back and forth for over a year between these two. But if you had to have another ranking after the summer, I have no doubt that Collier should be at the top.

Her USA performance this year for the U-19 team was nothing short of spectacular. She started all seven games and received the most minutes from Coach Staley. She was second in scoring to A'ja Wilson, first in rebounding, offensive rebounding, FG%, +/-, eff. rate, and steals leading the team to the gold medal. Yes, Wilson won the MOP but Collier was the best player in the tournament.

From Coach Staley - "She’s relentless. She plays hard all of the time, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a game or if it’s practice. She sets the tone for how the game should be played. She sets a great example for others. She’s probably one of the most efficient players on both of the sides of the ball. She made stuff happen. She’s a magnet for the ball, a great offensive rebounder that can knock down open shots from inside and outside the 3-point line. She picked up things well and was a pleasure to work with.”

Her high school career was just as amazing. She was the Gatorade Missouri Player of the Year in both her junior and senior season. She led Incarnate Word Academy to three consecutive state championships. I told you she was a winner.

Individually, she was one of five finalists for the 2015 Naismith Award as national Player of the Year, a Women’s Basketball Coaches Association High School All-American and she was selected as a McDonald’s All-American. She was also a Naismith High School first team All-American. 

In her senior season she averaged 26.2 points, 13.0 rebounds, 4.1 blocks, 4.1 steals and 2.7 assists and her junior year she averaged 23.7 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 4.2 steals. Great numbers that show her complete game on both sides of the ball. 


 Here is a great interview with Napheesa while still in HS. So composed, so intelligent.

I was looking for a mix tape of HS highlights, but I could only find individual clips.

 
 
Here are a few Napheesa articles
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My final thoughts on Ms. Collier. She is college ready and will get close to 20 mpg her freshman year. Only because she is playing with so many great players will her minutes be limited. One any other team she would get 25+. Her work ethic and hustle on the court will ingratiate her to every UConn fan. And Geno.
 
 From my friend Cat - In February of this year Geno was interviewed on a St Louis radio station.  At the end of the interview he talked about the local kid, Napheesa Collier.  
 
Geno said: "She holds herself accountable, she doesn't blame anybody when things don't go her way.  When they lose it's her fault, not anybody else's.  She gives all the credit to her teammates, her coaching staff when they win.  She's not well 'I got my 26' or 'if we lost it wasn't because of me because I got mine.'  She's more about being a leader and that sets her apart from your average kid that plays high school basketball.  The first time I saw her play I liked her.  The second time I liked her more.  The third time I liked her more.  The fourth time I loved her and by the time I met her family I loved her even more.  I would have been devastated if we didn't get that kid because she's going to be something special."   
 
Yes, something VERY special.


3 comments:

  1. Ingratiate cannot be the word you mean. It has a very negative connotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of Eddy Haskell (Wally's friend), now he was ingratiating.......

      Delete
    2. Here are some meanings I found -

      "to gain favor or approval for (yourself) by doing or saying things that people like".

      "to gain favor or favorable acceptance for by deliberate effort "

      I used the exact word I wanted. But I do appreciate the feedback. I have used incorrect words in the past.

      Thanks.

      Delete