Saturday, April 1, 2017

DoggyDaddy's UConn/Mississippi State Post Game thoughts


Image result for uconn women basketball


Wow........the sun came out this morning. Although I couldn't see it with the snow flakes coming down in APRIL!!!! Truly, life goes on. And my life gets much less complicated. As you probably can figure out, this blog takes up a ton of my time. No complaints. I wish I was writing a pregame report for UConn playing South Carolina. But it was just not meant to be.

I suppose the fact that UConn hasn't lost their final game in 5 years makes this a little weird. I was certainly very confident that they would win, so the loss was really shocking to the system. But as this morning has moved along, doing my normal errands, talking to Logan on FaceTime, and just realizing that this really happened......I'm feeling really good about this team.

It was an amazing season, it game us more than we could ask for less the NC. I'm so proud of the team, in awe of the great job Geno and the coaching staff did and appreciate every minute I watched the great basketball they played.   

So no, I'm not going to do a full analysis of the game. I'm sure you all saw it and have your own thoughts about the game.

It was clear in this game that the largeness of the moment was a little too much for this young team. Because of how they won game after game, we all fell into the trap that UConn would be the team that could handle the big spotlight of the Final Four. I did have a concern that this was the semi-final game where Geno is now 5-3. This did remind me of the loss that UConn had to Notre Dame during Maya Moore's senior season.

They missed shots they normally make, had several uncharacteristic turnovers and just seemed out of sorts. That being said, I will not take anything away from the terrific game that Mississippi State played.

Vic Schaefer had his team prepared and his players responded with a terrific effort. And we can't forget that this was one of the most exciting Final Four games in recent history. 

I will post the links here for the game. I won't be reading them, but some of you might like them.

So, will I keep doing my Dailies? I did last year after a few days off. I wrote about the WNBA, had links to their games, followed the UConn alumni and any UConn related links I could find. I'll see if I will do that again. I might need a longer break.

But you can bet I will be posting about next years team and expecting another long winning streak to happen. Not 111 games, but who knows?

Lastly, I want to thank all of you for being such loyal readers. I do this for you!

UConn loses to Mississippi State in buzzer-beater fashion Carl Adamec
Sophomore Collier's WNBA dream can wait Carl Adamec
UConn's surprising run ends with stunning Final Four loss Jim Fuller


3 comments:

  1. Thanks DD. You've earned your rest. I will miss the blog during your break but I hope that you won't be gone that long. Your wit, insight, and tell it like it is take no prisoners style really makes it for me. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

    Only Gabby played really tough; Crystal pretty tough, too!
    Too much partying before the game? It looked like they were having great fun at that country bar. Lots of fun, but no hunger. They needed to be hungry for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insightful blog...it's really been a fabulous year and you definitely captured all the moments!!! Thanks and will be looking for you in 2018!!!

    ReplyDelete