Sunday, October 19, 2014

First night impressions, Photos and Videos


I want to thank DannyK for permission to repost his videos and pictures from First Night. There is no bigger or better Uconn fan than DannyK. He travels all around the country with his distinctive headgear rooting on our wonderful women's team.

Here is Danny with Moriah Jefferson.

 

If you ever have a chance, check out all Danny's photos from all the games he's gone to on Facebook. They are fantastic and I'm so jealous for his ability to get to all the great games AND to meet so many of the players. He has a special relationship with Elena Delle Donne's family ever since UConn started recruiting her and still exists today.

On to First Night, and what a night it was. I loved the new fan interaction of the introductions with the players coming down the stairs slapping hands with the fans. Geno and Kevin like to give back and it shows. The interaction between the two coaches shows true respect and as many know, that was not the case in past.

Here is Danny's video of the introductions and pre-scrimmage festivities.

 

Watching the 13 National Championship trophies carried out by former players was so much fun. I could not stop smiling. The hugs between the former men and women players were real and heartfelt and certainly shows the true family tradition that has been a part of the two programs for almost 30 years.

I especially loved seeing Maria Conlon again. There is no women's player that was unrated and underestimated as much as she was. And UConn would not have been as successful her last two years with her steady hand. 

The ceremony video speaks for itself and I hope everyone enjoys it!!!

Danny was also kind enough to share his video from the mixed scrimmage.


Since this a blog about women's basketball, I'll focus on that.

I did read on somewhere fans making predictions on player performance based on the scrimmage. Probably one of the silliest (I'm being nice here) things I have read. No one plays defense, there are men on the court bigger and stronger than anyone the women will see during the season.

What I did like is how much fun they were all having, how full the stands were, how loud the fans were, and no one got hurt.

So, while I won't make predictions based on this scrimmage, I will comment on some of the players and some of the plays.

If you get a chance, watch the alley oop from Jefferson to Purvis. She just looked so comfortable making that pass, you know she would love to throw one to Stewart where Stewart actually throws one down! Maybe in practice.

Did any women's player look more comfortable with the entire event than the freshman Nurse?

I loved watching the pre-game warm up with KML shooting 3's with the greatest 3 point shooter of all time Ray Allen. They kept moving further out. Very cool.

Kiah Stokes makes a 3. Enough said.

I do wish the GTown transfer, Butler, was playing this year. Great size and she loves to run the court.

ESPN3 had the entire night on their site. Here is a link from the great site that has many UConn games saved.

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-2015-womens-basketball-game-replays/

Next......my Gabby Williams write up........

2 comments:

  1. Thank you (and Danny K) for posting the video's. Last year UConn got commitments within a couple of days of First Night. I wonder who will be the first to commit this
    year ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. DD, you used a great word to describe Nurse throughout the evening: comfortable. I'd add confident. She appeared completely comfortable and confident from the introduction to the scrimmage. I sure hope she can make shots because if she can, watch out.

    ReplyDelete