Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Our local freshman

Sadie Edwards

Uconn fans are always excited about in state recruits, regretting the ones that got away but showing special love to the local girls that Geno ask to come to Connecticut.

While last year,Uconn added a local walk on in Tierney Lawler, Sadie Edwards, a Meriden product, was a McDonalds AA and top 10 recruit in several recruiting sites. Much more will be expected from her. Not quite on the Nyskesha Sales level, but still a high value recruit.
Edwards attended Mercy-Middletown as a freshman and earned a starting guard position. The next year she transferred to Nazareth High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. and was part of a New York Catholic High School Athletic Association state championship squad. Edwards then moved to Blair Academy in New Jersey for her final two years. As a junior Edwards averaged 17 points, nine assists and six rebounds per game as Blair earned the Prep A state championship. Edwards topped off the year by being named the New Jersey Prep Player of the Year. She was first team all-prep her senior year and averaged just about the same in her senior campaign.

I loved her answer to how transferring to Blair helped her improve.
“when the level of competition grew, I had to get better,” Edwards answered. “I always have to get better. When I got to play in New York, I got to play against the best competition in the country. It really pushed me and allowed me to showcase my talent. I was pushed not just in the games, but by my teammates every day in practice. I think it’s one of the best decisions that I’ve made.”
"New York is hard because of the shot clock, but I like that because I will have a shot clock in 
college,” Edwards said. “Between New York and New Jersey, it’s pretty tough. It’s a tough 

environment to play basketball because the competition is so good.”

She sounds like a Geno type player who loves to be pushed. Check out this interview.





What a bright young woman.

As mentioned, she was a McD's selection. Her performance in that game was not great. She kinda disappeared, but as with many of Geno's recruits, that type of helter skelter game was just not her style of play. Of course, many fans used that to worry about her future performance. It's what fans do. I'm more inclined to wait and see.

She is a big guard at 5'10". She has a nice jumper with great form. Very quick to the basket and does a terrific job setting up her teammates. She is equally comfortable at the 1 or 2.

I fully expect her to compete for regular playing time. She has the skills and intelligence to playat the next level. As usual for incoming freshmen, how quickly they grasp the defensive rotations will have a big impact on how much pine time she sees. I'm really looking forward to see her in Geno's system I believe she is a great fit.

7 comments:

  1. Great post DD..I loved the interview as well, She comes across very well spoken and poised. I am looking forward to seeing her in UConn National flag blue, white and red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree DD!! Can't wait to see what she will bring to the team

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considering when will be the best time to put up a link to your blog on the Boneyard !
    I know the mods will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, here is the correct spelling...This is all too sad...I useta love The Boneyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edwards is one I am really looking forward to seeing play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing her play in national flag blue! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete