Tuesday, February 14, 2017

DoggyDaddy's UConn/South Carolina Post Game Report


Image may contain: 15 people, people smiling, people standing and shoes




Hey, not bad. I predicted a 10+ win for the Huskies and the 66-55 win was pretty much right one. The game went as I expected. Dawn Staley said she was going to slow the game down to limit UConn's scoring opportunity and in some ways she was successful. She did keep UConn to their average of 63 shots per game and held them to 17 three point attempts, 3 lower than their average of 20. It was more poor shooting that kept the Huskies from scoring near their average.

To me, all the slowing down of the game did was to keep South Carolina's score down. The took three shots less than their season average. They took seven less free throws that they usually take as well. You need to be able to outscore UConn. Not just keep it close. It wasn't going to happen with the slowdown strategy.

I guess I just don't get that kind of thought process. I have watched South Carolina in several games this year and they always played better when they forced the tempo. A team that averages 77 points a game can't change how they usually play and be successful. I can only imagine what the players thought of this game plan. I know that I would feel that the coach doesn't have confidence in me.

Now Geno likes to control the tempo, make no mistake about that. But when confronted with a high scoring team, Geno says - "Go for it". Remember the 2013 game against Oregon where Paul Westhead was the coach and someone that loves to run, Geno just had UConn outrun them.   

All the talk of the South Carolina size advantage proved to be off the mark. I've always felt that quickness in the post can overcome slower and big players. While Coates was able to grab her share of rebounds and Wilson was able to score inside early, they had no chance in defending Collier and Williams. Time after time Napheesa and Gabby got to the rim with great success.

Geno did a great job with his defensive schemes. I remember posting in my blog a few games ago how he was playing zone a little more often. I said it was in preparation for this game. It really worked. The constant switching the defense from man-to-man and zone really confused the Gamecocks. I suppose it was an obvious thing to do but leaving the freshman guard Harris open to pack the paint was extremely effective. After a 12 point first half by Wilson, Geno basically triple teamed her with two "bigs" and a guard dropping back into the paint. It effectively took her out of the game and frustrated her to the point she threw an elbow at Butler and visibly showed frustration with her teammates.

I could rehash the game in detail, but if you haven't seen it, and maybe even more than once, you should stop rooting for UConn!!! 

So check out the highlights, quotes and my thoughts on the player performances. Hope you enjoy them.  
        

Game Highlights


Highlights from Storrs South


Highlights from American Conference


Highlights from UConnhuskies.com

Inside the NBA guys talk about the win!



 Game Stats and Box Score


******************************************************************************













Game Quotes From Geno






“Gabby is an extraordinary talent, and you hear that word a lot you know. You hear that word that she is special player, or this special, but you know there is nothing special about Gabby. You know, I think the term special gets thrown around like its ordinary, she’s not special, what she is just an extraordinary athlete who understands that she is and she tries to live up to it and not everyone does that. Her basketball skills have caught up to her extraordinary talent. There is nobody like her in college basketball.”

“There were a lot of good players sitting in the stands tonight. When I turned around and looked at the bench one time, I almost called a couple of them down. There were a lot of wins up in the stands tonight and a lot of championships.”

“Given where we started and where a lot of people expected us to be and who everyone else had coming back, for them to do it, I think it is very appropriate. They probably feel better about it than last year’s teams would have. A big win like this against a really good team in an amazing environment.”

“I hope we can focus on the season and what’s coming up next and whatever’s in store for this team, Let’s get it over with and move onto the next thing, which is more important in the big scheme of things for these players anyway. This 100-win streak isn’t theirs. But if they win a national championship, that’s all theirs. That means a lot more if we’re able to do that down the road.”









“They carried the torch across the finish line to 100. If it’s a relay, they took the last baton to 100. If we win a national championship, it’s all theirs. I want to focus on trying to do that instead of worrying about the other stuff.”

"Unless you're in our locker room every day and unless you're at our practice every day and unless you go through what these kids go through every day and put up with what they put up with every day from us as a coaching staff, it's impossible to explain."






UConn Women Vs. South Carolina
Game Quotes from
South Carolina Coach Dawn Staley 



A not real clear (audio) post game interview with Staley and WIlson



"I just thought that for 18 minutes of the first half favored our game plan and then we had those turnovers and they went and scored and it really hurt us, it deflated us....we had lazy passes and they made us pay for it"

"Well I told my guards  that UConn usually and probably looks at peoples shooting percentages, and they make those people beat you. For us, we had too many empty possessions where we got great looks but we just didn't come up with them."

"I don't mind playing them every year."

“It’s not like we didn’t know they were coming with their choke defense. We made lazy passes and they made us pay for them.”

“They are opportunistic. They wait for you to make the mistakes and don’t foul a whole lot. … You have to execute it for 40 minutes. If you don’t, they’ll make you pay.”

"Our defense was not bad. I thought we did a really good job with that. It's just we let our guard down, and when you let your guard down, a team like UConn is going to make you pay every time."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/david-cloninger-blog/article132586379.html#storylink=cpy


Player Evaluations







Gabby Williams


I'm not sure I can put into words the performance of Gabby in this game to do her justice. It might have been the best performance I have seen by a UConn player in a game of this magnitude. I know, DT had some incredible games, as did Maya and Tina and Stewie and Moriah. But something about this performance really hit a high note with me. In 40 minutes (yes she played every minute, Gabby had 26 points, 14 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 block and 4 steals. The only black mark  on the box score were her 5 turnovers. But most of those were errors of aggression. Playing against players who ere 5-6 inches taller, she used her quickness to drive by them for layups, made a few jumpers when they backed off and skied for rebounds over and over again. Her effort was supreme and it's hard to believe but she can get so much better.      


“I think sometimes, I can be too hard on myself, I don’t give myself enough credit. It does worse than it does any good, so I am just trying to build my confidence up more and more.”

“I get my confidence from my coaches I get it from my teammates. Just going out and getting extra gym time always helps getting my mind right. Also, I lose my confidence when I try to play outside of my game and outside of what I know I can do, but once I just start getting stuff going on the defensive end, things just kind of come.”

"I'm proud of how tough and composed we were today; that's the culture we have here. It's not the number, really, that's so special. It was the environment, the fans, the alumni being here, the amount of coverage we had, and how many people were watching the game. That's what was special for me."



Katie Lou Samuelson
I remember reading on a message board that they hope that Lou doesn't have a Taursi game, like the one she had against Notre Dame in 2001 where DT was 1-15 from the field, 2-3 on FT's for 4 points and 5 assists in 31 minutes before fouling out. I saw another poster laugh that off. Well, no one is laughing now. Katie Lou, what happened to you??? In her 34 four minutes, she had 6 points on 2-12 shooting. 0-5 on threes. 3 assists and 4 fouls. Looks pretty similar to me.

Early on it looked like her adrenaline was off the charts. Her shots were all off the back rim and then later she looked like she was just pressing. I don't think she took many bad shots. There were shots she made all year. Maybe she got a little caught up in the moment. It happens. I'd be shocked if we see something like that again from her. Poor Tulane.     




Napheesa Collier


The foul problems obscured some of the great things Collier did in this game, but make no mistake about it.....she was the second best player on the court Monday night. In her 34 minutes she had 19 points on 8-16 shooting, 9 rebounds and she should have been credited with a couple of blocks. Her steal and layup to end the first half was HUGE. I love the picture here of her shooting over the outstretched arms of A'ja Wilson. And her first move of the game, an incredible drop step past Collier helped set the tone of the front court domination. She didn't back down on defense, constantly trying to push Wilson out of her comfort area.


“I think it is toughness and really knowing our scout. Our team did a good job with doubling and forcing them the way that we wanted them to go instead of the way they like. Things like that.”

“It felt really good, kind of continuing on what they have done for so many years. It felt really good too to kind of finish it off.”








UConn Women Vs. South Carolina




Kia Nurse

Auriemma noted, confirming what was readily apparent, could barely run. But she had a gutty performance in her 18 minutes and boy, did she hit a great three pointer. I just love this kid's heart. I really hope she can get to 100% before the tournament.  UConn needs her out there. She is the de facto leader on this team and when you read her quotes, you know why.


"We're extremely conscious of the history. We understand that everything that we have here, all the opportunities we have and the benefits that we have about being this program strictly come from what they've done to build it into what it is today. I think even in practices, when you're dead tired, you can see the banners on the wall with their names and understand that they went through it and they pushed through it and they got this to what it is."

“100? It’s a hard thing to do and it’s a big number. It is definitely going to be something we remember for the rest of our lives.”

“Yeah Gab did a little bit of everything out there today, she was all over the place, she was absolutely incredible. Just absolutely proud of her and she carried this team to a win.”

"You figure it out right away. And I think it's the way the vets teach you how we do every drill, how we lift, how we work out. And the importance of each little detail in what we do. That's something that you learn right away."



Sanyia Chong

Chong played a second team high in minutes with 38. And she was just so solid. She didn't score much, but her 6 points were crucial. She added 4 assists and once again had zero turnovers. Her biggest contribution was on the defensive end. She was a big part of the reason that the three starting South Carolina  guards were only 7-27 from the field. I don't think she was out of position once and she took two great charges. Fearless and smart, she is having quite the senior season. She is the Maria Conlon of this team.    



Crystal Dangerfield

Our little Crystal is all grown up....lol. She was terrific in this game running the offense. Calling plays (see the picture) and driving the lane, making great passes and just controlling the ball. She was just terrific. She played 30 minutes with Nurse being hobbled and had 7 assists and only 2 turnovers. And hit s big three. I think we will see more of those. This game has to be a confidence booster for her.




Natalie Butler, Molly Bent, Kyla Irwin,Tierney Lawlor

As I predicted in my pre game report, only Butler got minutes and it was only seven at that. She did have a basket and a rebound. The end of the bench didn't see any time in this game. But boy, did they cheer like crazy!!!!

 Final Thoughts

Image may contain: 25 people, people smiling, people playing sports and basketball court
From the opening tip Gabby dominated!
5'11" vs 6'4"
Amazing!!


I believe that if these two teams meet in the final four, UConn will absolutely destroy them. Lou's shot will go down, Nurse will be healthy and Dangerfield will be even better.

It was great to see the UConn GREATS in the stands. Maya is hysterical with her facial expressions after each UConn miss or make.

Amazing that the backcourt of Chong and Dangerfield played the most minutes in this game in the backcourt. I can't remember those two playing together that often this season. Usually they replace
each other. They did really well.

I don't usually give advice to Geno but I think he should sit Kia for the Tulane game and give her a  full 8 days off. She needs to have that ankle ready for Temple.

So, who has the best frontcourt in the country? UConn of course. And it really isn't close. In spite of the bad game for Samuelson, the duo of Williams and Collier dominated Wilson and Coates. Size doesn't matter. Quickness does. Bodes well for me!

Next game is against Tulane again. The Huskies dominated the Green Wave 100-56 earlier this season behind  Katie Lou's 32 points and 7 steals. The only way this is a contest is if the team goes to Bourbon Street during the day and are too drunk to play. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen. 

Let me end with something even more wonderful than UConn winning 100 games in a row!!!

Image may contain: 11 people, people smiling, crowd

Bria Hartley had her baby!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you have to give Davis some of the credit for Lou's off night. KLS took a hell of a beating out there and it kept her out of her comfort zone. It didn't help I'm sure that way too many O sets were tried in the first half and not enough were tailored to screens for Lou

    ReplyDelete