Thursday, December 28, 2023

Doggy's Doghouse 12/29/2023

 







 



                                                                                                                       
                    ****************************************************




Even my daughter (mother to Logan and Barrett) 
is looking for my Blog!!!

GO UCONN!!!!!

******************************************************

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I know it wasn't a white one. No snow anywhere!!!

I had the usual Jewish Christmas. Chinese food!! And some football games to watch.

************************************************** 


************************************************** 
************************************************** 

I'm finding this hard to believe. They had a season high last year of 14,375 against Villanova. Over 15,000 for this game? While awesome, I will believe it when I see it. 

************************************************** 

Would this be the greatest starting lineup of all time? All in their prime I can't imagine another starting 5 that would be them. Even players from other teams. 

************************************************** 


** Designates Upset

Wednesday December 27th, 2023
No games Thursday


**********************************************************



Please be true!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Morgan Cheli is going to get solid minutes next season for the Huskies. She can play positions 1-4. I can't wait to see her in a UConn uniform. She is planning on wearing No. 23. Big legacy to live up to!! 

*************************************************
 
 

Straight from the Dog




Phil pointed this out. SECreme has UConn as a 5 seed. Ridiculous. They have only lost to Top 5 teams. And they are also showing they are figuring it out. Here are other ranking services compared to SECreme.

  • Massey 8
  • NET 12
  • Her Hoop stats 5
  • AP 15
  • RPI 1
  • ESPN Power 9
  • Creme 17, 18, 19 or 20
 
The AP voters are idiots too. They punished UConn too much for their losses and not enough for their wins. It will all shake out later but still, it's annoying.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Geno on X's and O's

*****************************************

By PHIL

I thought it might be interesting to look at how ratings compare among five rating services:

AP rankings

NET

Massey

Coaches poll

Her Hoops Stats

I originally planned to look at the top 25, but it turned out to be a little more than I could manage so I decided to analyze whoever is in the top 10 in each of the five rating services, and wherever they fall in the other rating services.

One way of looking at this information is in the table as follows:

I tried to be clever and use the school colors to distinguish the teams. That may or may not work for you.

A second way of looking at the same information is to list the teams and then show the ranking for each of the five services.

Below the second table I put in the correlations; I’m a bit rusty so I’m not sure I created a standard correlation table but I think you can figure out what the numbers mean.

The first take away is unsurprising — the two human polls, AP & Coaches, are highly correlated with a 96% correlation coefficient. Not surprising as I’m sure the coaches look at what AP selects and vice versa and doesn’t depart too far in most cases. I expected them to be highly correlated although 96% is a little higher than I might’ve guessed.

A somewhat more surprising take away is that the human polls and the algorithm polls are not very highly correlated. For example, NET is only 32% correlated with the AP Poll. That’s not a huge correlation for two things that purport to measure the same thing. I’m fairly certain that alcohol sales and teacher salaries have a higher correlation.

I haven’t spent a lot of time looking at Her Hoop Stats, perhaps I should. The something to like about a rating service that thinks UConn is number five.

They are very uncorrelated with the AP poll, under 8%.

I also calculated the standard deviation of the ratings, the minimum and maximum ratings for each team and the range (the difference between highest and lowest). No one will be surprised that allating services have South Carolina first which means the standard deviation is zero and the minimum possible range.

I originally put this together a day or so ago, when Indiana was ranked 26 in the NET rankings. One day later after a decent win they moved all the way up to 17. I’m still surprised at the road to the jump, which is a cautionary tale that the NET rankings are still a bit suspect.

Kansas State and Colorado are now the major anomalies, with Colorado ranked as high as eight and as low as 24, in Kansas State ranked as low as eight and as high as 27.


Milestone watch

• Aaliyah Edwards had 1374 career points after the Butler game. She scored 26 in the Toronto Metropolitan game to reach an even 1400, She passed Sue Bird, Carla Berube, Jamelle Elliot, and Leigh Curl, moving into 34th place. She needs just two points to tie Tamika Williams, nine points to tie Chris Gedney, and 13 to tie Peggy Walsh.

• Nika Mühl had 484 assists after the Butler game. She had 8 assists in the Toronto Metropolitan game to reach 492 assists. She is now in 14th place. She needs 39 to catch Laura Lishness in 13th place, who has 531 career assists.
*****************************************

SPIDER STATS

Plus one for every assist block point rebound and steal. I don’t add extra for offensive rebounds as it already seems to favor the bigs. Minus one for every missed shot (2, 3 or foul), turnover or foul committed.



******************************************************** 

UCONN LINKS

Several links are pay sites. Sorry!


******************************************************** 

Here is an option for any contributions for my time in putting together this blog.

I'm not requiring the contribution in order to read the blog. It's totally voluntary. And I'm not recommending how much to donate or how often. 

Thanks to all my loyal readers!!!

If you don't have Venmo, you can sign up here 
or add the app to your iPhone or iPad.

And here is another option that is being pushed by Paige!!




******************************************************** 

Message Boards

UConn Territory - The best UConn women's message board ever!!! 
Vol Nation - Tennessee women's basketball board
ND Nation - Notre Dame women's basketball board
Rebkell - WCBB for everyone that thinks they are smarter than everyone else



I'm always open for suggestions. Just please reply to this blog or email me at:

No comments:

Post a Comment