Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Doggydaddy's Dailies 12/3/14

 
 
A Daily look at scores from yesterday, a list of top performers in those games and of course a little opinion
 
 
 


Fans have every right to be critical when it comes to their favorite sports teams. Being a Giant, Yankee and gulp.....Knicks fan, I've done my share of yelling, cursing, finger pointing. But when it comes to UConn Women's basketball I just don't get the same urge to act the same way.

Now maybe it's the exceptional success they have had the last 20 years. Winning 9 NC's and losing only 53 games over that time frame is amazing and to complain when they lose a game or a player makes a bad play or misses a game winning shot is kind of silly.

Sure I get upset after a loss. I want them to win every game. EVERY GAME. But I'm a realist. I know that is impossible, no matter how talented the players and how great a coach Geno is. So, I never dwell on a loss. I'm always looking ahead to the next game or if they lose in the NCAA's? The next season.


So What’s my point? On a fan board recently there was a long discussion on the nerve of UConn to  lose to Stanford. This ended up focusing on the apparent performance of one player which then deteriorated to the implied lesser than ideal physical condition of that player. This player was a first team All American in her sophomore year, and last year was key in UConn’s wins in the final four ending in the winning of the 9th championship for the school in 2014, this at the end of an injury/illness prone junior season. AND - She was singled out by her coach in the preseason as “how hard she worked in the off season and what great condition she is in” as the season got underway.

Yet in that one loss to Stanford, she was singled out on this message board for a poor defensive performance, never mind that the defense of all of the players was awful. She did have a poor shooting night but no credit is seemed to be given to the defense that face guarded her for most of the game. Most telling to me was that Geno played her the entire 45 minutes. I would think he would have taken her out if she was that much of a detriment to the team.

It's amazing how differently folks look at things when a team loses. If Orrange misses that last shot, UConn wins a tough fought [road] win and the poor defensive performance is mentioned but not dwelled on. And maybe this player's poor performance is chalked up to just that: a poor performance in one game. Considering her history as a Huskie, I'm thinking she would deserve the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Geno’s comment in an open practice afterwards that this player has lost a step would be taken in context of that one game and the bad case of flu that she had immediately afterwards had some effect on her performance instead of the his comment being the gospel.


After this loss – by two points – in overtime, the discussion about this players physical condition – weight issues and so forth went on for 248 posts. For the life of me I can't figure out why it took 248 posts to make the point that this player is possibly overweight.  


There weren't any nasty comments about her weight. In fact there was more nastiness from some of the folks that were defending her. They made it personal. I guess it's the protective parent in some of them, and I totally understand. Fans will be fans and they will discuss every and anything forever if allowed. It just shouldn't have gone on that long.

It felt similar to the posts about Maria Conlon years ago. For those who don't remember, Maria was a home grown talent that was criticized over and over because she was a little heavy and wasn't the quickest player. That didn't stop her from being the starting guard on two NCAA championship teams.  I didn't like when that was happening back then either.

Personally, I didn't see the point back then. I don't see the point now.

 
So, without further ado!!!  Stepping off my soap box.....
      
Ladies and Gents, DD looks at the news........

 

 
My Granddaughters love Disney
  

Thanks to my friend JohnnyC who sends me these numbers when he can.


Kerry Kinek Lehigh 22 points 19 rebounds
Ashley Southern Lipscomb 26 points
Mackenzie Engram Georgia 20 points 7 rebounds
Briana Hutchen Alabama 21 points 10 rebounds
Victoria Vivians Mississippi State 26 points 9 rebounds
Breanna Richardson Mississippi State 17 points 13 rebounds
Eboni Ross N. C. A&T 17 points 16 rebounds
Mimi Mungedi Nevada 21 points 15 rebounds

 
 

Check out the award winning Blogs below

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better

 By the well known ThisJustIn

And another terrific blog by Mel Greenberg

 Hoops Guru


I'm always open for suggestions. Just please reply to this blog or email me at:
 
 

2 comments:

  1. great write up. The reaction of that fan board was over the top, and I have to wonder why it was allowed to go on as long as it did, and have a resurgence in yet another thread. I am thinking that it has to do with the number of hits on the thread. These days, hits mean $$. If that's the case, then this fan board is sacrificing it's reputation for dollars, no longer about the team we supposedly support, but about bringing in money. Shame on them. rant over (sorry to bring it up here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with your assessment, Rady. I know the powers that be have a tough job policing the board. And I can respect that. But what they allow and don't allow sometimes seems arbitrary- very much dependent on the poster making the point or objecting to the post. Sad to see so many long time posters posting less and less or leaving the board completely. I have heard from many several who have had it with the uneven application of the rules. No matter...I am loving this site, Doggy is doing a "dog gone" good job. Keep it up!

      Delete