Sunday, December 7, 2014

DoggyDaddy's Dailies 12/8/14

     

A Daily look at scores from yesterday, a list of top performers in those games and of course a little opinion

Just a reminder - The Boneyard stopped allowing the posting of alerts when I have a new entry. Please look at my Facebook page if you want to know when I post to the blog. I update that Facebook page every time I add something here. Thanks. 
 
 

The argument has started on all the WCBB message boards. Who should be #1?
 
 UConn fans are saying they should be #1. Why? Well, in they just dismantled the #1 in the coaches poll and the #2 in the AP poll. That the Stanford game was a long time ago now and that UConn is figuring out how to play UConn basketball with the players they have.  
 
South Carolina fans say that how can a team that lost already this season be better than an undefeated team. They mention that UConn lost to a top ten team on the road and South Carolina beat a top ten team on the road in Duke.
 
To tell you the truth, I understand both arguments. But I'm buying the UConn fan's reasoning more.
 
There are two questions that need to be answered. Who will be #1 in the polls and who is the best team. The first question is easily answered as the voters are pretty transparent in how they do their business. Here is last week's poll.
 
AP Top 25
RKTEAMRECORD 
1South Carolina (20) 5-0 
2Notre Dame (13) 7-0 
3Connecticut (1) 5-1 
4Texas (1) 5-0 
 
As you can see, the AP poll has first places votes split with 4 teams receiving votes. It's clear that at this time, the voters were not unanimous in their opinions on who is #1. So what will they do this week? From what I have seen in a lot of years of watching these voters, here is how I see the writers voting this week and how the poll will look.
 
AP Top 25
RKTEAMRECORD 
1South Carolina  (18) 8-0 
2Connecticut (17) 6-1 
3Notre Dame   7-1 
4Texas  6-0 
  
I can see all the ND voters going for UConn. The win was so decisive, I can't see ND retaining any of their #1 votes. And with Stanford looking more mortal, the Texas #1 vote might slide to UConn as well. I also think that a couple of voters, after seeing the weak performance in beating Duke and their now being on a 3 game losing streak, will vote for UConn. It will be close and I wouldn't be surprised if UConn didn't slide into top spot.
 
I believe the USA Today Coaches poll is a lot easier to determine the #1 team. Just like Stanford jumped past 5 teams to the top spot after beating UConn, UConn will just over USC and past ND into the top spot. Here is last weeks poll.
 
USA Today Coaches Poll
RKTEAMRECORDPTS
1Notre Dame (19) 7-0780
2South Carolina (10) 6-0771
3Connecticut (1) 5-1739
4Texas (2) 5-0689

Again, I can see all the ND voters going for UConn. The two Texas #1 votes might split with one going to UConn. I moved 2 USC votes to UConn. UConn will be a clear #1 in this poll.

USA Today Coaches Poll
RK
TEAM
 
 
1
Connecticut (21)
 
 
2
South Carolina (8)
 
 
3
Notre Dame
 
 
4
Texas (1)
 
   
So question number one is how will the voters vote and how the poll will look.
 
The other question is who is the best team. Yeah, seems like the same question, but this one is a personal vote not what someone thinks the voters will do. And this is what you see fans argue about.
 
So, how does THIS fan look at it?
  
I don't like the argument made that an undefeated team is better than a team with one loss just because of that loss. It's way too simplistic for my tastes. 
 
Let's look at the #9 Duke vs USC game and compare to the UConn vs #6 Stanford game. Clearly UConn lost and USC won. Undisputable fact. But I don't see how that gives USC an advantage when analyzing who is better RIGHT NOW.   
 
I don't believe that Duke was #9 when they played today. Yeah, I know that was their ranking, but they lost another game this week after the rankings came out. That puts them out of the top ten. And with today's loss Duke will surely be closer to 15. Stanford did not play this week so with Louisville losing, Stanford will slide in the 7th spot in both polls. I don't believe you should use the ranking when they played as the criteria when analyzing the two teams. How are the teams they played ranked now? It's much more relevant than Stanford's preseason ranking and Duke's ranking that didn't include a loss.   
   
If I was going to weigh those games, I'm not sure you can put the impact of either game more than the other.
 
How about the rest of the schedule for each team? Has UConn had weak performances since the Stanford game? It doesn't appear to me that they have. And I watched two other USC games that I know were weak performances. And now coming off a fortunate 51-50 game?
 
The ND game was not just another game. Yes, Turner was out. But it was just a full out butt kicking and I don't believe we have seen USC play that well against a team that good.  
 
I don't think there really is a question. UConn has proven that they are the best team in the country at this time.
 
So, without further ado!!!  
      
Ladies and Gents, DD looks at the news........

Upsets in Red

No. 1 South Carolina women top No. 9 Duke 51-50 AP
No. 9 Duke women fall to No. 1 S. Carolina 51-50 Star telegram

No. 5 Texas A&M prevails, but TCU women show promise Star Telegram
No. 5 Texas A&M women beat TCU 82-71 The Brownsville Herald
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 St. Johns 55 South Florida 52

Fordham 71 Temple 64

 Bowling Green 66 Cincinnati  55

PV A&M 61 Houston 56 

 
My Granddaughters love Disney
  

Thanks to my friend JohnnyC who sends me these numbers when he can.

Dearica Hamby Wake Forest 14 points 17 rebounds
Yacine Diop Pittsburgh 22 points 10 rebounds
April Robinson Duquesne 19 points 11 assist
Kelly Hughes Boston College 22 points 11 rebounds
Kelsey Mitchel Ohio St. 26 points
Jordyn Peck Wagner 27 points
Marley Hill Cincinnati 13 points 15 rebounds
Lauren Okafor James Madison 15 points 15 rebounds
Amanda Zahui B. C Minnesota 25 points 10 reb 6 blocks
Candice Warthen Arizona 21 points 10 rebounds
Nikki Moody Iowa State 24 points 7 assists
Courtney Walker Texas A&M 21 points
Courtney Williams 12 points 12 rebounds
Yacine Diop Pittsburgh 22 points 10 rebounds
Kelly Hughes Boston College 22 points 11 rebounds
 Nina Davis Baylor 43 points 9 rebounds
 

Check out the award winning Blogs below

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better

 By the well known ThisJustIn

And another terrific blog by Mel Greenberg

 Hoops Guru


I'm always open for suggestions. Just please reply to this blog or email me at:

No comments:

Post a Comment