Thursday, January 29, 2015

UConn vs East Carolina Post Game Report



So THIS is where Geno got that play......??
 
UConn-East Carolina Post game report 
 
(pictures from the Hartford Courant, UConnhuskies.com, DannyK)

So, I'm watching the game and I see East Carolina score the first points of the game, UConn ties it up and then ECU makes the next basket to take the lead. The announcers couldn't stop glowing over the ECU team, how much they improved over the last game, blah blah blah. 7 and 1/2 minutes later UConn had a 22 point lead and the rout was on. Seriously Meghan?

UConn just dominated another opponent and they spread it out with 6 players in double figures and one of them wasn't KML. The usual sharp shooting Huskies struggled from the outside, so they took the ball inside as much as possible. I don't know if it was the game plan or just circumstances, but UConn took only 11 three pointers when they average over 20 per game. It was smart because they shot 60% from the field, increasing their NCAA leading field goal percentage to 53.9%. The team record is exactly that and with a few more weak AAC opponents and the early NCAA games, this team has a shot at breaking that record. They are on pace to obliterate the single season team record for total fields goals as well. This is one amazing offensive team.

 
 
Game Quotes

Geno - “Kiah is in a defensive mindset right now that I think very few players can reach regarding their comfort level where they know that they can take chances and impact any shot that they want to impact. I’ve seen people do that in the past, I don’t know if I’ve seen anybody do it as consistently and as often as Kiah has done it. Even to the point that they call the foul. During one I even commented that I bet you when I look at the film it wasn’t a foul. When they said that she hit the person on the arm shooting it…she always gets the ball when its leaving your hand…maybe she did, but the fact that there was a foul called…we were all surprised. That is how in sync she is right now and she got one big offensive rebound in the second half in front of our bench. Regardless of the score, she is doing stuff lately that has become a part of who she is at both ends of the floor.”
  
Geno on the bench - “One of the issues with our bench is that, other than Kiah Stokes for a long period of time (three plus years), everybody else, this is relatively new to them, while Soniya Chong has done it a little bit. You can see that Kiah is the most comfortable…this is her role. It what she wants her role to be and she is playing it to the hilt. The other guys, I think Gabby is making the most progress. She is becoming the most consistent. She is the one that I think made that biggest jump from a month ago to now. Soniya comes and goes. Of the three players that play the most minutes, I would say that is my assessment right there.” 

Kiah Stokes - On blocking shots - “I think so. There was one thing, especially Kevin, I don’t know if you guys know him but he sits on the bench, and he said, “Kiah you have seven blocks so often, can’t you just get ten?” That was one thing where you don’t think about it, but once I noticed I was getting a few, I started to think that I wonder how many I’ve got, maybe I can get a few more. That was the approach I brought. To get a triple-double with blocks as the third category is pretty awesome. I had no idea that I set the record for most blocks as a UConn player either.” 


 Player Evaluations
 



Player of the Game 
Kiah Stokes
 
  Three pictures for a Triple Double!!!!
 
What a terrific performance by Kiah in this game. I seen her score more points, I've seen her grab more rebounds, I've seen her block more shots...uh...never mind. But my point is that I've never seen her more confident and more aggressive on both sides of the ball. 
 
Her shot blocking skills rival the great Bill Russell of the Celtics. He was only listed at 6'9" but he had the knack of timing his jump, anticipating the shot, not going for ball fakes, and blocking with either hand. He rarely blocked the ball out of bounds. Does this all sound familiar? Stokes just has the knack as well.
 
Thanks to DVR's, you can watch a game a few times and focus on different players. In this game, Kiah was working so hard on both offense and defense. Now, we are used to that on defense, at least in the shot blocking aspect of her game. But now she is fighting harder for defensive position in the post and fighting for offensive position in the paint. She didn't always get the ball, but when she did, she went hard to the basket. There was one offensive rebound where she just dominated the ball and finished with her left hand.        
 
If this is anywhere near the play we are going to see going forward from Stokes, UConn just got a lot better. Oh yeah, 10 points 11 rebounds 10 blocks. Amazing!  
 
 
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
 
Well, she was due. After several hot shooting games in a row, she had a bit of a stinker. But KML knew she was off so she only took 6 shots. The rest of her game was solid and I'm sure she will be on target in the next game. I love that she was looking for her mid-range game as well as her three point arsenal. 
 
Moriah Jefferson 
Ok....I have to say it. It was a subtle but cheap shot by that ECU player on the play where Jefferson went into the basket stanchion. A slight push with the hand on the hip was enough where Moriah could not stop her momentum. A totally unnecessary play. And it pissed me off.

Before that happened, Jefferson was all over the court reeking havoc and playing her usual roadrunner pace that no one could keep up with. This is the second time that her back was a problem and I hope it doesn't lead into a chronic situation. I'm sure the medical staff will be keeping an eye on it.
 

Morgan Tuck 
 
If it wasn't for Stokes triple-double the POG probably would have gone to Morgan. Just another 17 point,  7-11 shooting game with 7 rebounds and 4 assists. She is a drop below 60% on field goals and at 80% on free throws. I can't wait to see her playing against a big and strong front line to see how she does when challenged. I'm thinking she might be ok. 

 
Breanna Stewart 

Stewart had a similar game to Tuck, production wise with 14 points 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals and 2 blocks. When Stewart and Tuck both have it going, it's say goodnight Irene for the opponent. I keep waiting for that explosive game. I'm hoping for February 9th.   
 
 

Kia Nurse
 
 I thought this was a great game for Nurse. I think she was as aggressive as I have seen all season. Whether it was diving for loose balls, taking a hard charge, driving strong to the hoop, Kia was showing all her physical skills. She is usually stronger than anyone she is guarding. Her shot was off, but I think she played right through that.
 

 Saniya Chong

 This was another solid performance for Chong. These two pictures tell the story of this game. Two excellent and strong drives to the basket for two! The one on the left was the Saniya I remembered from HS. She really does have the skills to be a BIG contributor for UConn. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

 








 

 Gabby Williams
 
Up another tenth of a point for an 8.4 scoring average. I would love to see her get to double digits but I don't think she will. She scored 11 points, nabbed 7 rebounds and had 2 assists with ZERO turnover. Check out the picture above on the left. She is so cut. Maya like.   
 
 
 
Courtney Ekmark
  
 She didn't take a shot, but normally they would have found her for a few long range shots. It looked to me the search for Stokes triple-double put a cramp in her offensive game. Her defense was excellent again. She is not ready to play against the better teams, but she is getting great experience.
   

 
*******************************************************************************

UConn takes a trip to the city of brotherly love, the Phillies, the Sixer, the Eagles, the craziest sports fans in the world and of course is Geno's home city. He loves going back to visit friends and relatives.

Of course, it's the home of Temple University and UConn will take on their women's basketball team on Super Bowl Sunday at 2:00 on ESPN2. Tonya has them playing well since losing to UConn, winning their last 3 games. But it appears it will be a UConn sandwich of big wins on either side of that winning streak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment