Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Doggy's UConn/NC State Post Game Report

 

















2 Seed UConn                                       1 Seed NC State  
          Huskies                                                            Wolfpack
         91                  2 OT              87

I heard there was a game last night. How'd it go???

I wrote about it last night and I'm not sure what else to add. 

This was maybe the best women's college basketball game I've ever seen. All the credit in the world to North Carolina State. A terrific and gutsy team. Like in the Notre Dame game, they always find a way to come back. They looked to have the game won in regulation, and the Huskies looked to have it won at the end of the first overtime. But at the end of the day, the play of Bueckers was the difference. There is no doubt that she is back. 100%. 44 minutes, 27 points.  

But my heart is heavy for Dorka Juhasz. She fell on her wrist and it was a clean fracture and dislocation and she is done for the season. It's hard to believe the injury bug hit the Huskies again. I'm sure she is upset and happy at the same time. As if this team needs more motivation, but I'm sure they want to win for themselves and not for Dorka.

In a game like this, stats don't mean squat. Shooting percentage, rebounds, assists, turnovers. The numbers don't matter. It was the plays. Each big play on top of big play by both teams. UConn just had one more big play at the end to get the win.  

One thing for sure. I'm not sure I've seen Geno more emotional than he was after this game. He was crying and physically shaking. I can only imagine how he was feeling after the adrenaline left his system. 50 minutes. I'm sure he slept well last night. I know I did. 

Enjoy UConn fans. Last night's game was something else.  



Replay and Highlights


UCONN Post Game Press Conference

NC State Post Game Press Conference


Game Highlights

Quick Paige and Geno Postgame Interviews

End of 1st OT and Full 2nd OT

Paige Highlights

Full Game Replay

Instant Reaction


******************************************************************************



Geno Auriemma
Game Quotes from Geno

“It’s one of the best games I’ve ever been part of since I’ve been at UConn — regular season, postseason, it doesn’t really matter. It was just amazing the way the 10 kids on the court were playing for their lives. Nobody wants to lose, and everybody’s making big play after big play, and nobody backed down from the moment. It’s a shame one of us had to lose.”

“It could end tomorrow. It could end next week. It could end next year, like everything else ends. But kids like Paige won’t let it end, and there has to be that kind of kid.”

“Thank God Paige came back, because she just gives everybody so much confidence and then everybody just kind of played and everybody took turns making plays. It was just an amazing basketball game and it was a great showcase for our sport.”

“With Dorka's injury, I think having been through all the things that we have been through and knowing that we're in the middle of a game right now, I think they refocused pretty well, considering.”

“She's still a kid and she still did miss two months of basketball. And not just the games, she missed two months of practice. It was going to take time. Who knew? I had no expectation this would come, this kind of moment that she had. But you know, Paige is different."

“One shining moment? Well, one moment that ain't that shiny and your season is over. That's how fragile this is and that's why you've go to appreciate it and you've got to enjoy it.”

Game Quotes Wes Moore

“We came into a tough environment against a great team and went toe to toe with them. Hats off to UConn. Bueckers — she had a great performance. They’ve got a really good team. I wish we would have seen them at the Final Four instead of here, but that’s the way it works.” 

“I agreed to a series with UConn starting next year. Coming back here next year, then they’ll come to us the following year.”

"I couldn't be prouder, as you mentioned, just a battle back and forth, and not letting the crowd or the name on the front of those jerseys bother them, faze them. They just came to play, and they're unbelievable. I mean, it's just -- can't say enough about them. Just the journey, again, they're great kids. As good of basketball players as they are, they're better people. Like I said, it's an honor to be with them, work with them."

"We needed to get it out of Bueckers' hands. That's what we tried to do against Notre Dame late in the game Saturday was we tried to make somebody else hit a shot besides Olivia Miles. And tonight we were going to try to trap her some, try to ice her on one side of the floor, and we just didn't get it done. I'll have to go back and look at the tape before I can really speak on what happened."

"Geno was just very complimentary of how this team fought. Yeah, I mean, he's a legend. What do you say? It was an honor to go against, but again, it's the players, and they're the ones that make the plays and that put on the show for everyone."

******************************************************************************

UConn Player Evaluations

Player of the Game
Paige Bueckers

Can everyone remember the time when fans were wondering if Paige would be the old Paige any time this year? It was clear she was physically back a few weeks ago, but mentally it's been a different story. I think we can put that storyline to bed.

Against North Carolina State, Paige played 44 of the 50 minutes, and after a slowish start, she just carried the team to the win. In the second half she hit 8 shots in a row, 8-9 and 6-6 from the free throw line. The team climbed on her back. This second half is going to propel  her to 40 minutes of hell for Stanford.

“I would have loved to watch that game. Being in it was crazy. It was a lot of fun to play in. Two very competitive teams. We found a way to win. We stuck together and stayed composed.”

“Two days ago I said, ‘Win or go home’, but we won and I’m still going home. This is crazy. I’m just so excited no matter the location, no matter where it is.”

“This team has been through so much and it’s only made us stronger. And if we see one of our sisters go down, we’re going to do it for her. We all love each other, we’re all so close. It just signifies what we’ve been through all year. Whole bunch of adversity, highs and lows, ups and downs. We stayed composed and we stayed together.”

“I can’t dream some of the stuff that happens to me. That’s why I thank God so much.”

Christyn Williams

Bueckers is getting all the headlines, but Christyn was just great in this game. Her first half kept UConn in the game and her leadership skills were on full display. Her drive to the basket where she put her body into the 6'5" Cunane and finish was as big a basket as UConn had in this game. She played 48 minutes, scored 21 points and hit two big three pointers as well. 

“It’s always hard to see a teammate go down like that, especially in the middle of the game. But Coach got us together and basically told us the biggest thing we could do for her was win the game. That was just our mentality.”

“Her injury impacted this game a lot. It’s very sad for Dorka, but I feel the way our season has gone all year, we were well prepared for this game and for something like that to happen. We’ve kind of learned how to sub in and keep rolling with the punches.”

“A lot of us have gone down at one point or another in the season, so we've kind of learned how to sub in and just keep rolling with the punches. “Yeah, we always find a way to get it done.”

“Literally, We have Paige Bueckers, and they don’t.”

Azzi Fudd

Freshman? What freshman? Azzi played 49 minutes! No doubt she is in great condition. She never looked tired. Azzi scored 19 points and hit 2-5 three pointers. The great thing is, she has even more to give and expect that in the Stanford game. I loved how her game is way more than just shooting three pointers.

Aaliyah Edwards

It was a tough game for Aaliya. Tough because she had no chance to rest with the injury to Dorka. She did play 39 minutes and while she only scored 8 points, it seemed like every basket she made either put UConn ahead or tied up the game. I thought she did a fine job guarding Cunane, giving away a couple of inches. Not an easy task. She added 2 assists and 2 big steals.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa

Olivia played her heart out in this game. I know a lot of fans will focus on her missed free throws, and no doubt those were painful. But her 5 offensive rebounds were huge in helping the Huskies win this game. She only scored 6 points but her 4 early assists were a big part of UConn staying in this game.

Evina Westbrook

The one thing I will take out of this game for Evina was her smart play at the end of the game. Trapped in the corner and several NC State players running at her, she calmly found Williams under the basket to restore the four point lead. She only played 15 minutes. but they were solid minutes. Another great team player, with no ego.  

Nika Muhl

She didn't play much, as Bueckers was just too important to take out, but I thought she did a great job while in there. Nika is a true team player.

Dorka Juhasz
Final Thoughts

So, should we as UConn fans be satisfied with the Final Four? For sure this was the game I was most worried about. I just love that Final Four streak and did not want to see it broken. However, I know the team is not satisfied. 

Stanford is a terrific team, but I have watched them in a few games and they certainly not unbeatable. I'll have more in my future Pregame Report. 

I'm just glad that I won't have to hear from pundants, opponents and UConn haters in general complaints about UConn playing in Bridgeport. The comments were getting tedious. 

Can Louisville beat South Carolina? I think it's doubtful, but never say never. They play great defense and if the Gamecock guards struggle with their shooting, it's possible. I'd love to see it. I'm a big fan of Jeff Watz.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment