Sunday, March 1, 2015

Senior Day Post game report


 
UConn-Memphis Senior Day Post game report 
(pictures from the Hartford Courant, UConnhuskies.com)
      
Where do I start with this one? The Senior Day activities were great (even if the video wasn't). KML's little brother running to Geno for a hug was priceless. The two seniors were so composed and genuinely happy! It was fun to see Kiah's dad, who I watched play plenty of basketball when he was in college and the pros. The man is HUGE!! And I always enjoy when the team managers get some love. Geno and Chris have created this wonderful family atmosphere that seems to attract some great players who are also great people.

The game started out with Kia Nurse on the bench and Kiah Stokes in the starting lineup. And it didn't take long for KML to score her 2000th point with a 3 pointer (what else?) a minute and a half into the game. Very appropriately it came from a pass from Stokes, who later blocked her 300th shot, becoming only the fourth UConn player to reach that mark. 

The game itself was just a dominating team effort, specifically on the defensive end. With Stewart and Stokes in the starting lineup, there was no room for any Memphis player to score near the basket. This allowed the guards to pressure the perimeter, leaving Memphis with literally no way to score. I don't think I have seen UConn play as good a defense as they did in this game pretty much EVER. I know, hyperbole, but I really mean it. I focused on the switching defense and they moved like they were in concert. If you have a chance to watch the game again, look for that. You will be amazed!

Memphis was 4-for-30 from the floor in the first half, 11-for-57 in the game. Ariel Hearn, a terrific player, was 3-for-20 from the field and 1-for-9 from three and managed only 7 points to lead the team.

Overall, Memphis, who gained an Honorable Mention for my UGGY award, was just awful. Much of that was UConn's defense, but you have to take ownership of your bad play and their coach did just that (see her quotes in the quote section). They just were totally intimidated in this game and they played like it.   

But this day was about the seniors and they got the going away party they deserved!!       

 
Game Quotes 
 
Geno
 
"You could tell by the way the game started that she wanted to get it [the 2,000 points] out of the way. I don't know what kind of discussion she had with anyone about it, but it was clear she wasn't going to waste a lot of time doing it."
 
"I'm glad they played well and got a lot done. That's what you want for a player on Senior Day, to make sure they feel good about themselves when they go home."

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

"Hopefully people look at it like they do all the other great players. I was really happy to see my number go up there."
 
"Kiah is always going to look to help us before she looks for herself. I think she has taken on that role, embraced the fact that she is going to set screens, block shots and play defense. That is what we expect from her and I am happy that she came out and played so well."
 
''It's exciting to be able to be able to share it with my teammates (2000 points) and continue something great that has been here since we were in the Big East (win conference championships),''
 

Kiah Stokes

"Coach (Auriemma) told me to go out there and play like you know you can play. I know I can get rebounds and block shots. That is what I really try to do. For Kaleena to get her 2,000th point off an assist from me, it is just awesome. I am glad she made it and it just shows what we have been through that I did my part, I get rebounds she made her shot."
 
"Me and Kaleena made a bet, if you cry first you owe me five bucks and that was kind of the fun aspect of it. We didn't want to go out, be emotional, crying because it is fun and we like to be here. The hard part is going to be whenever our last game is."
 
"I knew I needed just one block to get to 300, but it wasn't my focus. I just wanted to make sure they didn't score against me. I always feel like if I blocked the shot I have done my job."

Coach Melissa McFerrin
 
"It's mental before you even set foot on the floor. If you don't go out and not know that you are going to keep fighting, even when stuff goes wrong, you're in trouble. There were a lot of dead balls in the 31-0 run and that let UConn set their pressure and we just had trouble handling that, and adding to that, we didn't shoot well."


*****************************************************************

 Here are player evaluations
 
 
 Co-Player of the Game
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
 
I selected the one picture from this game that is the image that I will remember her by....the best 3 point shooting form of all time.
 
What a great game for KML. If you had to write up a script for the perfect senior day, this would be it. Scoring 21 points, going 5-8 on threes (3rd straight game doing that), winning big, and then scoring your 2000th point? Perfection.
 
You could see the absolute joy on her face, from the minute she was introduced with her family to the final time she was taken out of the game to the roar of the crowd.
 
She was just dynamic in this game, from her scoring to her incredible "on the ball" defense. I know we kill folks that were so critical of her after the Stanford game. And if you watched her play since then, it was a justified slamming of her critics. This game? She was even better on defense than she had been all year. She was a big part of the symphony of pressure that was so dominating.
 
Congrats to you, KML. We will miss you!    
 
 
 Co-Player of the Game
Kiah Stokes
  
Look at her upper body in this picture. There is no way she isn't selected early in the WNBA draft with that WNBA ready body. I loved her quotes after this game. She just gets it. She knows her role of defense and rebounding and has embraced it this year. Her scoring on occasion is just a luxury for this team.
 
Kiah was truly joyous on this day too. Smiling from ear to ear, she seemed to soak up the occasion and her family seemed just as happy. 
 
It was only appropriate she started both halves and played a team high 31 minutes. She didn't have her best game statistically, but she seemed to play with an air of confidence that was refreshing. I'm hoping this game spur her on to more games like this. Her five assists were not only a season high but it was a career high. She was all about sharing and just making the team better. In that regard, it might have been one of her best games. 4 points, 5 assist, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks. I want a recount on the blocked shots. I think she had 5.         
 
 
Moriah Jefferson

Jefferson had a terrific game in her 25 minutes. She scored 12 points on 5-7 shooting going 1-2 on threes. She grabbed 4 rebounds and she made sure everyone was involved, handing out 6 assists. I know I'm repeating myself, but her defense was fantastic as well.
 
I love the picture I chose for her. She not only breaks opponents ankles, it looks like she can break her own. Maybe the best ball handler I have ever seen in WCBB.  
  
 
Breanna Stewart

This picture just struck me with how long her arms looked. Amazing. Go-Go-Gadget Arms!!!

I  know it was Senior Day, but Stewart looked to turn it into Stewie day with the first half that she had. WOW. 19 points and 7 rebounds. She just looks so comfortable on the court. Of course, she missed two three pointers. Still a big struggle and now it appears to be in her head. But the rest of her game? POY....POY.....POY!!!!!  
 
 
 Morgan Tuck

 I'm sure that Tuck will be happy to never see Memphis again and hopes UConn doesn't play them in the AAC tourney. I don't know if it was coming off the bench that messed her up, but she didn't play very well and Geno seemed to take note of that. He limited her to 10 minutes. Not a benching like the first time these two teams met. Stokes played ten more minutes than usual and some of those came from Tuck, but she just didn't seem with it. Maybe it was the emotions of Senior Day. Maybe not.

It certainly wasn't a doghouse thing and certainly not an injury. She will be back against South Florida in a big way.

 
 
Kia Nurse

 I don't know if it was not starting for the first time since the Stanford game or just the continuation of her freshman blahs, but Nurse had a below average game. She only scored 5 points and led the team with 4 turnovers. I keep waiting for her to snap out of it. The good news is her offensive malaise hasn't impacted her defensive effort. She was a big part of the total shutdown of Memphis.
 

Saniya Chong
 
Chong has just slid into the role of solid contributor off the bench. She handed out another four assists and one of those was just spectacular. You can see in the picture he eyes glancing to her right before slipping a sweet pass between those two defenders for an assist to Williams for the layup. Her confidence is sky high and it shows in her play.
     

 Gabby Williams
 
Williams had her fourth double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds. She is just so much fun to watch. She soars for her rebounds like no other player since Maya Moore. If she ever gets it going from the outside, she will be impossible to stop.
 
I loved her post offense, but in this game, I was so impressed with her perimeter defense. She was just fantastic with her switching and because she can defend the perimeter and the post, she is even more effective on defense.      
 

Courtney Ekmark
   
She didn't see much time, but managed to hit her only three pointer and looked really good doing it. She is now four for her last six 3-point shots. Closing in on getting that percentage of 30%. It's a start!
 
 *******************************************************************************

So many great pictures available. But here are some of my favs!!!!




Kaleena and Kiah, we will miss you!!!


Nothing like Father and Daughter love!
I've never seen Kiah look so little..... 
See what a UConn education does for you?
 They got the letters in the right order!!
 
Another Number 23 on the wall!!!
KML did that number proud!


There is no doubt who is the comedienne on the team.
KML is always cracking up her teammates.
Is Williams standing on a stepladder??
The Seniors!!
I love how hard Briana plays. And man, does she look fit!!
Her mom is so proud of her!!
KML's pose cracking up Stokes....love it!!!
And last.....The 2014-15 AAC regular season champions!! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I didn't get to see the Senior Day festivities because I am in Arizona. But this was a great way to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete